Whether you’re creating an entirely new theme from scratch, or making nips and tucks to an existing design, understanding how Drupal’s theme system works, or having someone on your team who does, is essential.
This workshop will familiarize front-end developers with Drupal 8's theme system through a combination of presentations and hands-on exercises. Whether your goal is to theme your personal site, pass the Acquia front-end developer certification, or upgrade your skills for a job, our goal is to provide students with a solid foundation and enough knowledge to continue to practice and learn on their own.
You'll come away from this course knowing:
- How the Drupal theme layer relates to the rest of the system
- Common theming terminology and processes
- How to override any of Drupal's HTML output
- The relationship between base themes and sub themes
- Everything you need to know about Twig when working with Drupal templates
- Tools for introspecting and debugging a theme
- Tips and tricks for using common front-end development tools like CSS preprocessors and task runners, in conjunction with Drupal
Attendees should be familiar with HTML and CSS and understand how to administer content on a Drupal website. This workshop will be relevant for both people who are new to Drupal theming as well as those looking to move from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. This course is based on the Drupalize.Me Drupal 8 Theming Guide. Attendees will receive one month of full access to the complete Drupalize.Me tutorial library so that they can review and continue to learn after the workshop is over.