Advanced Micro Devices is a global semiconductor company located in the United States, with facilities around the world, and over $4 billion in revenue in 2016. In early 2017, in tandem with the launch of a new line of processors, AMD launched a new web site built on Drupal 8. This site consolidated multiple Sharepoint sites and centralized the management of marketing content and hardware specifications to ultimately handle a catalog of over 1200 SKUs across 11 different product lines.
Constructing the new site using Drupal 8 faced a number of challenges during this project:
- unclear project requirements
- choosing among approaches to a complex architecture model of multiple custom entity types for dynamic storage and display of rich product data
- missing designs and using paragraphs-based landing pages for marketing content
- immaturity with some of the key offerings required to complete the project, including content workflow
- translations! moderation! and more!
We’ll review the approach the Acquia Professional Services and AMD teams took to overcome these challenges and the overall model that successfully delivered the project on time and on budget.