SEO stands for "Search Engine Optimization." Improving your website's SEO can translate into more visitors, better conversions, and more sales.
Accessibility refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people who experience disabilities.
This is why people care about both and why you should, too!
When properly configured, Drupal is a very SEO-friendly and Accessible web framework. The trick is to know which Drupal modules you need to install and how to optimally configure them. Configuration doesn’t stop at the module level - a solid content strategy is required to make the most Accessible and optimized website. “Content is King” and our job is to make Drupal showcase content in the most effective way to all consumers and search engines.
This full-day training will enable you with the tools and knowledge to make YOUR website more Accessible to everyone, including Google!
The Hook 42 team will help you:
- Understand what SEO and Accessibility are and why they are important to web business.
- Cover the do’s and don’ts of general SEO and Accessibility practices.
- Apply SEO and Accessibility practices to a Drupal environment:
- Know the modules needed to prepare a website to support SEO and Accessibility.
- Configure system level, module level, and content level settings to support SEO and Accessibility.
- Use tools and techniques to test and tune your SEO and Accessibility configurations.
- How to support an SEO and Accessibility tuned site over time.
Syllabus / Agenda
Each section of the class will include a combination of lecture steps and guided hands-on exercises. In the configuration sections of the training, we will be enabling, configuring, and testing modules. In the content targeted sections, we will be performing site building tasks with content-specific SEO and Accessibility configurations.
- Intro / SEO Concepts (Lecture)
- Preparing your website for SEO - system level config (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Extended SEO configuration (specific module level config) (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Content level configuration - content, taxonomy, metadata, and views structured for SEO - (Lecture + Hands-on)
- SEO tools - Test your training site! - (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Other SEO Drupal modules - (Lecture)
- Q&A - (Discussion)
- Intro / Accessibility Concepts (Lecture)
- Preparing your website for Accessibility - system level config (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Extended Accessibility configuration (specific module level config) (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Content level configuration - for Accessibility - (Lecture + Hands-on)
- Accessibility tools - Test your training site! - (Lecture + Hands on)
- Q&A - (Discussion)
Who will gain the most from training?
- Site builders.
- SEM/SEO/Marketing folks that dabble in Drupal site building.
- Folks that need to support an accessible website.
- Developers working in a marketing and heavy web business.
- Developers working in a standards heavy web business.
- Independent developers that perform all roles in website creation.
Prerequisites for the course
A network-connected laptop with SFTP software, a browser, and a text editor installed. Any operating system can be used, although our team is most experienced with Mac and Unix based environments. Most configuration will be done directly on the hosted development environment via web browser.
For the course exercises
Familiarity with enabling and configuring a module, basic site building creating content types and taxonomy vocabularies, and creating content using content types and taxonomies. Experience navigating drupal.org module pages.
For SEO & Accessibility topics
We’ll cover SEO and Accessibility in depth in the course of the session. No previous experience is required.
Each trainee will have access to their own hosted development environment pre-loaded with the modules used in the course. Modules will be enabled through the course of the day’s exercises. The training environment will be live for 30 days. Trainees will have full access to all assets used in the class to download and reference in the future. Training assets and links will be posted on our website, we will create an email list for follow-up questions, and use document sharing to collaboratively share questions and answers through the course of the training.