Stanford Web Services very well may be looking for you! Our mission is to build beautiful, mobile-responsive, secure, and accessible Drupal websites for Stanford University. We don’t build one site at a time: we build the tools to drive faster and better development for ourselves and others.
Sound good? If so, we need your help!
You make websites
You are a skilled web developer with 5-8 years of professional experience. You:
- Are versatile, self-directed, and enjoy building secure, accessible, and fast websites.
- Appreciate a strong development workflow with code reviews and version control.
- Are active on drupal.org and GitHub (or Bitbucket).
- Like to learn new things, because let’s face it: things just don’t stay the same.
- Get bonus points if you enjoy mentoring and are comfortable with public speaking.
You can get behind the goal of doing things right:
- You write clear, robust, well-documented code and use existing code where possible.
- You have learned or would like to learn more about universal design and web accessibility.
- You never rest on your laurels and instead look forward to improving the next time around.
We are Stanford Web Services
Known as SWS, we are 20 (and growing) top–notch web professionals, many of whom left commercial industries for careers in higher education. We take pride in our work and have a shared purpose of making Stanford’s web presence even stronger, because supporting the research and education mission of a renowned university can make a positive difference in the world.
As a part of the Stanford University community, we encourage a culture of real work-life balance; going home at a reasonable hour is how life should be. Our group includes musicians, a photographer, a brewer, a master gardener, a rock climber, an ultra marathoner, a lunchtime Zumba-enthusiast, a champion marksman, and many loving parents. We like what we do and other things, too.
Read more about our team: https://uit.stanford.edu/sws/value
Here’s what we do
Our mission is to build beautiful, mobile-responsive, secure, and accessible websites for Stanford. We don’t build one site at a time: we build the tools to drive faster and better development for ourselves and others. (Yay open source!) We created a Drupal hosting platform called Stanford Sites, use Github to track over 80 features and products, are moving into scalable cloud-based services, and are evolving our product line to empower web communications by our schools and departments.
Everyone in SWS, from designers to developers, works directly with campus clients and partners and is committed to problem-solving using friendly and clear communication.
Here’s what you’ll do
As a Web Developer*, you’ll perform substantial and technical development as part of a team, including:
Service support (80%):
- You’ll develop, improve, and document code (e.g., modules and themes) on custom projects for clients.
- You’ll advise on development strategy ranging in complexity from single websites to complex products and services.
- You’ll review code for functionality, accessibility, security, performance, and maintainability.
- You’ll embody the agile spirit through active participation in daily scrum, weekly development sprint meetings, and project and sprint retrospectives.
Platform support (10%):
- You’ll develop, improve, and document code, features, and installation profiles for services (e.g., the Drupal-based Stanford Sites Jumpstart) and platforms (e.g., Stanford Sites Drupal content management system).
- You'll look for opportunities to reuse custom components created for client work, folding them into the underlying framework to benefit the greater campus community.
- You’ll contribute to multiple open-source software projects (e.g., Drupal, WordPress, Behat).
Community engagement (5%):
- You’ll support our customer experience team on complex development-related questions.
- You’ll participate in Stanford’s Communities of Practice and Stanford DrupalCamp to support an open and sharing environment with our peers.
Professional development (5%):
- You’ll keep your skills sharp through attending conferences and training.
Benefits at Stanford
We work for the greater good. We don't have stock options or free lunches (though “Free Bagel Tuesday” is nice.) We'll pay for your Caltrain ticket, match-and-then-some your retirement contributions, help with tuition for your dependent(s), and provide healthcare options that include zero deductible plans. Stanford is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, which qualifies for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program with the Department of Education. You can also take advantage of Stanford’s recreation facilities and libraries, get discounted tickets to sports and events, and more. Check out what makes it pretty sweet to work for Stanford: https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/benefits-rewards/sweeteners
How to apply
If you are interested in joining SWS, contact us at sws-careers (at) lists.stanford.edu and share why you’re the bee's knees. Please note that a cover letter, resume, and a link to an online portfolio and/or LinkedIn profile are required. If there's a potential match to an opportunity with our team, we will be in touch!
* Visa sponsorship is not available, and please note this a fixed-term position through August 2018 and may be renewed dependent on funding.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.