You’re hungry to learn and experiment with new technologies and frameworks and contribute to creating this massive experiment we call the web. On the flip side, you keep an eye towards standards and accessibility, so the world (and its robot inhabitants) can experience your vision across multiple devices.
You will be primarily responsible for engineering the frontend user experience on client projects. This could mean working with backend devs to turn mock-ups into working code, creating a living styleguide and prototype with component-based design in our Kalastatic framework, or using React to build interactive web applications.
- Excellent communication skills. Not only do we like talking, you’ll also be (shock!) speaking with our wonderful clients.
- Adopt web standards and best practices. Write meaningful, semantic, HTML that responds across a number of different devices, and meets accessibility guidelines.
- Front-end frameworks. Because reinventing the wheel is silly, have the ability to utilize an existing framework like Bootstrap or Foundation.. We’re not blind zealots though, maybe you know a better framework—convince us!
- Tools. Comfortable with modern development practices and build tools like git, Node.js, and Grunt.
- SASS. Use a CSS preprocessor like SASS to create reusable components, fully adopting the DRY principle. You embrace all of what CSS3 has to offer, including Flexbox.
You Might Also Know About
- SVG and CSS3 animation
- Web components
You may also contextually find yourself emanating visual design, user experience, information architecture, and more because we all roll nimbly and value experimentation, collaboration and agile practices at Kalamuna.
Working With Us
Kalamuna is committed to building practical solutions that empower organizations and individuals. You’ll be working simultaneously on a reasonable mix of interesting projects for mission-driven organizations, and be counted upon to solve problems in code in a team context leveraging agile methodologies.
We’re also committed to your excellence and continued development and will actively seek to intersect projects with your ambitions.
Kalamuna offers many benefits including health insurance, commuter benefits, a continued learning stipend, a flexible PTO policy, federal holidays and catered Friday lunches. We also organize team building workshops and company-wide conference attendance.
We’re looking for individuals with a broad range of interests and experiences to be themselves. Your story, your passion is what interests us most.
- Tell us about a client project where you helped them shine brighter than they could’ve imagined.
- Tell us about an outcome that your engineering made possible.
- Show us something impractical, possibly funny, that you’ve built.
- Apply Now
Kalamuna makes the Internet for rabble-rousing organizations driven to tinker, critique, and change the way things are. We like to play with the existing state of affairs by testing strategies, coming up with new solutions, new paradigms, and new ways of doing things. It’s this restless, change-making mindset that gets anything worth doing done. We have it and our clients have it. And it’s what drives our work in design, strategy, user experience, and development. When we play, mission-driven organizations win.
Kalamuna is committed to eradicating institutional discrimination and bias, and to uplifting the lived experiences of all minorities.
As such, Kalamuna welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Kalamuna is an equal-opportunity, affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.